Lemon water doesn’t just quench thirst better than any other drink, it also provides our bodies with plenty of vitamins, minerals and vital trace elements. It’s also a great energy booster for when we wake up in the morning as our tissues are dehydrated and in desperate need of fluid to push out toxins.
Here are 20 great benefits to starting off your day with a lemon water beverage.
1. Electrolyte up: Lemon water will provide your body with plenty of hydrating electrolytes in the form of potassium, calcium and magnesium.
2. Joint healing: Lemon water can help reduce both joint and muscle pain.
3.Better digestion: Drinking warm lemon water can help your body with digestion thanks to the citric acid contained in lemon. This acid interacts with various enzymes in your body and stimulates the secretion of gastric juice.
4. Increased liver function: Lemon water will help your liver produce more enzymes than any other substance
5. Liver cleansing: Lemon water also aids your liver in helping it release toxins.
6. Fight respiratory infections: Lemon water can help you battle everything from sore throats to tonsil inflammation, thanks to the anti-inflammatory property of lemon.
7. Regulate bowel movement: Lemon water can help you better regulate your bowel movements.
8. Aid your metabolism: Being a powerful antioxidant, lemon can protect your body from various free radicals and also strengthen your immune system.
9. Reduce depression and anxiety symptoms: Lemon water has a high potassium content – depression and anxiety are often linked to not having enough potassium in your blood.
10. Cleanse: Lemon water can help cleanse your blood and arteries.
11. Regulate blood pressure: Daily ingestion of one lemon is estimated to reduce high blood pressure by 10% – drinking lemon water is a great way to work towards that quantity.
12. Alkalize yourself: Lemon water allows your body to keep a higher pH level, helping your body fight off diseases.
13. Revitalize your skin: Lemons contain vitamin C, which is known to improve skin conditions through the revitalizing of the body.
14. Reduce gout pain: Gout pain can be attributed to a buildup of uric acid – lemon water helps dilute this acid, thereby reducing this pain.
15. Protect your body through pregnancy: The vitamin C in lemon helps lemon water act as an adaptogen, allowing the body to better cope with various viruses. It can also help the bone tissue formation of your unborn baby.
16. Relieve heartburn: Mixing a teaspoon of lemon juice per half glass of water can help relieve heartburn
17. Kidney stone relief: If kidney stones are a concern for you, drinking lemon water can help dissolve not only those but gallstones, pancreatic stones, and calcium deposits as well.
18. Lose weight: Lemons have pectin fiber, which aids in the suppression of hunger cravings.
19. Oral health: Drinking lemon water can help relieve tooth pain and fight gingivitis.
20. Prevent cancer: Several studies have found that cancer cannot thrive in an environment that is rich in alkaline – a substance prevalent in lemon.